If you’re looking for a way to head to the mountains but can’t get your hands on a car, Amtrak’s California Zephyr Train runs daily, and drops you off right in downtown Truckee.
- Amtrak’s Zephyr Train runs from Emeryville to Chicago, with a stop in Truckee, near North Lake Tahoe.
- Make Train Reservations Online or Call Amtrak at 800-872-7245.
Take the California Zephyr to Lake Tahoe
Amtrak’s California Zephyr Train runs from Emeryville, to Sacramento, to Truckee, and finally to Reno. The route runs all the way from Emeryville, California to Chicago, Illinois. The train operates daily.Reservations
Make Reservations Online or Call Amtrak at 800-872-7245.
Nearby Train Stations:
- Address: 10065 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161
- Services: Station building with waiting room. No ticket office, no Quik-Trak kiosk, no baggage service.
- Distance to Lake Tahoe: You are pretty much here already. Truckee is one of the main towns of the area and the train station drops you off right in downtown Truckee. The lake itself is less than 15 miles away.
- Getting around Tahoe: TART bus service offers transportation to many nearby towns. Or pick up a local taxi or private car to get to your final destination.
The California Zephyr runs daily. Leaving Chicago at 2:00pm and arriving 2 days later in Emeryville/San Francisco at 4:10pm. Departing Emeryville/San Francisco at 9:10pm and arriving Chicago at 2:50pm. Note: Times may vary slightly.
- Arrival Times Heading West:
Truckee - 9:37am
- Arrival Times Heading East:
Truckee - 2:38pm