Carson City Nevada Historic District

>
>

Carson City Historic District

Carson City is a living, working museum of Nevada's gold- and silver-rush beginnings, where the past isn't just for reading, but also for experiencing by walking, listening and seeing. Nevada's history is still kicking in Carson City! At the city's heart is the eight-by-10-block Historic District, a stroll-friendly neighborhood thick with Comstock-era buildings that paint a picture of Nevada in days gone by. Read More

Nevada's capital takes history pretty seriously -- if for no other reason than because Reno and Las Vegas have little of it and are more inclined to destroy anything of age, rather than preserve it. Created by the Carson City Board of Supervisors in 1982, the Carson City Historic District is an area where development is regulated, and all exterior renovation, remodeling, or demolition of designated historic properties is overseen by the Carson City Historic Resources Commission.

The Blue Line Trail, a self-guided circuit around the Historic District that passes dozens of pre-1900 homes, is an easy walk. The Blue Line leads visitors under ancient oak and maple trees to turn of the century mansions, a Pony Express Stop and a former U.S. Mint. Nearly every block of the walk has at least one historic building.

One of the more notable is the Krebs-Peterson House (1914), used during the filming of John Wayne's last movie; the Sears-Ferris House (1863), boyhood home to the inventor of the Ferris Wheel; and the towering, Gothic revival-style St. Peter's Episcopal Church (1868). Other sites in the Historic District – all within three blocks – are the Nevada State Capitol (1871), the mansion-like old U.S. Post Office (1891) and the Nevada State Museum, a limestone fortress of a building that served as a U.S. Mint from 1870 to 1893.

Don't plan on taking a beer break at the historic 1864 Brewery Center for it is no longer a Pub but is now an arts and performance center.