Genoa was the first permanent settlement in Utah Territory, which is now Nevada. The first county courthouse was built in Genoa and opened for Douglas County business in 1865. It was built by contractors Lawrence Gilman and Rufus Adams for less than $20,000. The brick was kilned at the Adams Brothers Brick yard about 1-1/2 miles north of Genoa, on Jack's Valley Rd. The first legislature met in Genoa in December of 1859.
Just ten miles from Carson City, a trip to Genoa is like traveling back in time. Designated as a National Historic District in 1975, the various historic buildings will be maintained for future generations to enjoy. Interesting sites to see around town include the Genoa County Courthouse Museum, the Genoa Cemetery, the Community Church, the Masonic Lodge Building, the Town Office, Mormon State Park, the Snowshoe Thompson Statue, and the Hanging Tree.
Today, modern shops and stores occupy many of the historic buildings that line Main Street. Come to Genoa and take a stroll through days gone by!