- The "City of Angles" is located about 500 miles southeast of Lake Tahoe.
- This famous American city has lots to discover. Visit Hollywood, Laguna Beach, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Topanga Canyon . . .
- Arts and entertainment lovers, this is your town. Visit theater performances, movie showings, art exhibits and musical events at one of the city's many venues.
- With so much to do, get some help! Contact Los Angeles Convention & Visitors Bureau at (800) 228-2452 for complete listings and information about the city.
Much has been written and more can be studied about the city of Los Angeles, remarkable for its legacy of persistant growth and stylish appeal. There are many neighborhoods, districts, towns and cities that comprise the greater-Los Angeles area. Best known for Hollywood and Beverly Hills, Los Angeles boasts an immense cultural diversity due to its complex and interesting history. The shining glory of the city is its passion for the arts, from movies, music, and dancing, to photography, sculpture and all the fine arts. With a multitude of newspapers and a healthy blogging community, the resources regarding the city are pretty much neverending.
Los Angeles, a city that sprawls out for miles, stopping at the Pacific Ocean and the vast desert of southeastern region, is the epicenter of southern California with its concentration of population, economy and culture. For those travelers going from Lake Tahoe to Baja or Joshua Tree National Park, for instance, Los Angeles would be an exciting diversion into city culture and the beach!
With low-brow, ritz and options for everything in between, there is a restaurant, bar, cafe, hotel, motel, inn, B&B or spa to suit every need under the sun. Landmarks, gardens, parks, museums and theatres offer entertainment for day and night, 7 days a week. Major hospitals and other civic services are available, as well as public transportation and airport access at LAX. The world is your oyster in Los Angeles.
Contact Los Angeles Convention & Visitors Bureau at (800) 228-2452 for complete listings and information. Bureau locations: downtown at 685 S. Figueroa St. at West 7th St.; and, in Hollywood, at Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. Also, a good phone number to have: Traveler's Aid Society (L.A. Chapter), (310) 646-2270, providing information and other resources for tourists and travelers.
Don't even get me started!
Well, okay, here's a short list:
- City Tours: By bus, bicycle, trolley, on foot and in a helicopter
- Movie studio tours and movie star home tours
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- (Window-)shopping at Rodeo Drive, in Beverly Hills
- History and art museums, including J. Paul Getty Museum
- Performing arts events at Orpheum or Nokia Theatres
- Sporting events at Dodger Stadium or Staples Center
- Surfing, sailing and deep sea fishing at Marina Del Ray
- Hiking in Topanga Canyon, Pacific Palisades and Santa Monica Mountains
- Biking, along seashore on 22 mile paved pathway; on mountain trails in Malibu Creek State Park
Getting from South Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles is easy. Take I-80 west to Sacramento and get onto I-5 south; it'll take you over 350 miles to Los Angeles. Trip takes approximately 8 hours depending on traffic (and you will hit traffic - more than once).